Learning Provider Profile
To be advised.
Our mission for the Sales Growth Program is to help you develop the necessary Consultative Selling process and skills to enable you to differentiate yourselves from your competition and to win more business. Your mission is to apply the new process and skills to achieve a lasting change in process and behavior which will enable you and your team to sustain the performance improvement long-term.
Along the way, you will learn new techniques and be introduced to new process tools which are all designed to help you achieve this goal. In this first workshop we will focus on the fundamentals of Consultative Selling, and you will start to develop your own Sales Growth Playbook. You will be adding to this playbook throughout the program so that by the end of the program you have a detailed roadmap to follow and a handbook to help you grow.
In simple terms, our mission here is to help you find new ways to grow more revenue, more profitably.
To accomplish our mission for this first workshop, you will need to achieve the following objectives for each of the 12 modules. The specific objective for each modules are as follows, By the end of each of the modules, participants will be able to:
01. Introduction to Consultative Selling – Define what Consultative Selling will mean for you and what changes you will make to your sales process and strategy. ?Time Allocated: 1 Month
02. Getting Involved Early – Determine when you usually get involved in the customer’s buying cycle and develop ideas for getting involved earlier. ?Time Allocated: 1 Month
03. Creating Competitive Differentiation – identify new ideas?Time Allocated: 1 Month
04. Providing Insight – identify ways to provide insight to your customers through new ideas, problem solving and being more consultative.Time Allocated: 1 Month
05. The Sales Growth Playbook – create the framework for your own Playbook based on your goals.Time Allocated: 1 Month
06. Company Overview – determine what is most important in terms of your company overview and what do we need to include: key messages, and your ‘WHY?’Time Allocated: 1 Month
07. Sales Strategy and Process – produce a flow diagram to document your sales process from lead to close, with an outline defining each step. Time Allocated: 1 Month
08. Go-To- Market Strategy – define your strategy and Rules of Engagement for key components like demo’s and proof of concepts.Time Allocated: 1 Month
09. Strategic Sales Plays – define the actions required to implement each of the 3 key strategic sales plays: New, Renew, Expand. Time Allocated: 1 Month
10. Tactical Sales Plays – design a sample structure for a replicable sales play as the basis for adding more later.Time Allocated: 1 Month
11. Key Sales Metrics – agree what are the most important sales metrics, and decide how will you track and measure them.Time Allocated: 1 Month
12. Incentives and Compensation – determine whether the commission structure is effective, decide what else is needed.Time Allocated: 1 Month
Throughout the Sales Growth Program we will be employing a consistent development methodology to provide you with the Strategies you need to accomplish the mission and goals for each workshop. This will include your active participation in the workshop combined with the required reading and preparation and a series of integrated exercises. These exercises will include:
• Individual Exercises – to challenge you to find innovate new ways to apply some of the new techniques and ideas to your own real world situation
• Team Exercises – to help you work in small groups to solve problems together and select the best solutions and ways forward to implement the new tools and techniques
• Brainstorming exercises – using whiteboards and flipcharts to share information and ideas in a collaborative team activity
• Written tasks – to help you define and record detailed processes and document a plan for the implementation
• Role-plays – to enable you to practice new ideas and skills in a safe learning environment before you try them for real with customers
• Sharing experiences – to enable everyone to learn from each other and maximize the power of team cooperation
In this first workshop you will focus on completing the following tasks at the end of each module and within the 1 month period before the second workshop:
01. Introduction: Define what Consultative Selling means and define specific goals/actions you need to take to enhance your current sales approach. 1 Month.
02. Getting Involved Early: Determine when you usually get involved in the customer’s buying cycle and define ideas for getting involved earlier. 1 Month.
03. Creating Competitive Differentiation: using the 4 sources of differentiation discussed, define a list of actions to improve your competitive differentiation in the eyes of the customer. 1 Month.
04. 1. Providing Insight: Develop ideas for providing insight in sales meetings with current customers and prospects using the 3 types of insight discussed in this module. 1 Month.
05. Sales Growth Playbook: Develop the structure and ‘Table of Contents’ for your own Sales Growth playbook, defining the chapters and identify any external input needed. 1 Month.
06. Company Overview: Define the opening chapter of the playbook with a clearly define company story and value proposition. 1 Month.
07. Sales Strategy and Process: Produce a flow diagram to document your sales process from lead to close, with an outline defining each step. 1 Month.
08. Go-To-Market Strategy: Define your strategy and Rules of Engagement for key components of your strategy such as demo’s and proof of concepts. 1 Month.
09. Strategic Sales Plays: Define the actions required to implement each of the 3 key strategic sales plays: New, Renew, Expand. 1 Month.
10. Tactical Sales Plays: using the sample structure for a replicable sales play, complete at least one replicable tactical sales play. 1 Month.
11. Key Sales Metrics: Define your key metrics, develop a plan for data collection and highlight immediate actions required to make this an effective team metric. 1 Month.
12. Incentives and Compensation: create a 3/6/12 month plan to define what actions you will take in the next year to achieve your personal sales goals. 1 Month.
To be advised.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Consultative Selling
As the introduction to the Sales Growth program this Chapter will provide the foundation for the development of your Consultative Selling Skills and Process which will enable you to differentiate yourselves from your competition. For many salespeople, educated in a more basic, customer needs-based approach, this represents a major challenge. A traditional, ‘needs-based’ sales process assumes that the customer already knows what they need. The role of the salesperson is then simply to provide a solution to those needs. However, in that environment, salespeople can add very little value to the customer’s buying process. In fact, current research suggests that most customers have already undertaken 54% of their buying journey before they even contact a salesperson. At that point they believe they already know what they need and increasingly they are looking for a friction-less buying process, often one which can be conducted online, and does not include a salesperson at all.
A more consultative sales approach requires salespeople to get involved earlier in the buying cycle. This means developing trust with many people in the customer team, challenging them a little, helping them by providing the insight and ideas they need in order to win against their competitors. In this first Chapter we explore in more detail the characteristics of this consultative approach and what differentiates this from a traditional, product-led sales approach.
Chapter 2: Getting Involved Early
As we learned in the first Chapter, getting involved earlier in the customer buying process is a key success factor for salespeople to be effective in a consultative sales approach. The importance of this was validated in recent research by Gartner that showed that 76% of customers choose the buy from the company that first brought them the idea. Knowing this is an essential building block for your consultative selling methodology. It means you need to get involved much earlier in the buying cycle than most salespeople think. Doing this is not easy. It requires some fundamental changes in sales technique and sales process. A key part of this new strategy is to identify the parts of the customer organization where the buying cycle is actually initiated. Where is the idea born? This is usually outside the traditional target audience of the product-led salesperson. How will you identify where to start? How will you develop the credibility to be able to approach these new buyers? This Chapter focuses on what you need to do to start developing these new skills.
Chapter 3: Creating Competitive Differentiation
Much of this Sales Growth program, and the very essence of consultative selling, relates to the fact that salespeople need to start differentiating themselves from other salespeople, not through the products they sell, but through the WAY they sell. In other words, the salespeople themselves are the key differentiator.